Thank you for visiting one of the Arizona Office of Tourism’s (AOT) websites. As you navigate through our sites and related services, we may collect information about your visit that we can use to improve our services and provide a richer, more helpful experience for users. Your right to privacy is of utmost importance to the State of Arizona in building trust and confidence when conducting business through the Internet, and you have every right to know what information is being collected and how it’s used.
- What information we collect.
- How we use that information.
- Ways you can protect your privacy and control what you share.
This policy covers information and data collected while visiting any of AOT’s websites, including VisitArizona.com, ExpeditionFoodieAZ.com, and our various trade and international pages. It does not extend to the use of external links that may be included on our websites.
Occasionally, AOT’s sites may link to websites owned and operated by other businesses, such as restaurants, hotels and other local attractions. AOT does not have access to the information gathered by those websites, nor are we responsible for their content or processing of personal information or data. Please refer to the privacy policies of those websites for further details on their own data protection policies.
VisitArizona.com is the official travel website for Arizona and is maintained by the Arizona Office of Tourism. In addition to this primary consumer page, we operate several international versions of the website, a trade and media-specific portal for businesses, and a food-related page, ExpeditionFoodieAz.com.
Information We Collect
We do not require anyone to disclose personal data to use our websites. This includes data such as your name, address, email address, or telephone number. In certain cases, we may ask for this information to provide services or fulfill requests like a newsletter subscription; however, providing this information is voluntary.
Data you provide: Information collected from a form submitted online will be treated in the same manner as the information collected from a verbal or hard copy submitted to AOT or its agents.
- Surveys and sweepstakes: VisitArizona.com may use third-party partners such as Woobox and Survey Monkey to collect user information for the purpose of sweepstakes and user surveys. Your participation in these is voluntary, and submission of data constitutes consent for the storage and use of your data for the purpose of tracking participation and prize disbursement in the case of sweepstakes.
- Requests for printed materials: On VisitArizona.com and its media site you can order brochures and guides by providing your name, business, email and postal addresses. This personal data will not be used for any other purpose besides fulfilling the order unless you explicitly requested to subscribe to our e-newsletter and receive email from us. In that case, your email will be stored until you unsubscribe.
Data we collect: We use technology such as cookies to find out how you and other visitors use our services such as which ads you interacted with and the type of stories you read and find most useful.
- Device information: When you visit our websites, we collect information specific to the device you’re using: hardware (desktop, mobile phone, laptop, etc.), operating system (Mac or PC), and internet protocol (IP) address. This technical data is anonymous and used exclusively for statistical purposes – it is stored separately from personal data and cannot be traced to an individual person. [Your IP address is the number automatically assigned to your computer when you access the Internet. It is used to tell the website’s servers where to send information when a link is clicked.]
- Log data: If cookies are enabled on your browser, we use these to track how you used our websites, including which pages you visited, if you’ve visited before, and how long you stayed on the site.
- Cookies and similar technology: VisitArizona.com, AOT's other websites, and our partners use various technologies like pixel tags and cookies – small files sent by a web server and saved on the hard disk of your computer – to collect and store information when you interact with our services or other digital assets like our ads. When tied to products, such as Google Analytics, these help us analyze traffic to our site.
We do not edit user reviews published on TripAdvisor and cannot be held responsible for them, including any further use, distribution or republication. AOT does not confirm nor endorse the opinions or attitudes expressed in user reviews, and they are provided strictly for informational purposes. A decision made on the basis of TripAdvisor or other user reviews on VisitArizona.com is at your own risk.
How We Use Collected Information
We use the information we collect from all of our websites and digital services to provide, maintain, protect and improve them, as well as to develop new ones. We also use it to offer you tailored content, like more relevant articles, itineraries, offers, and ads for related and relevant destinations on our websites.
In addition to sending you our newsletters, which require an opt-in subscription process, we may use your email address to inform you about our services, such as letting you know about upcoming changes or improvements – like edits to this policy.
The data we gather from analyzing log information and visitor traffic is used to help us understand our visitors’ needs and wants when accessing our site, and how we can best serve them. It tells us general usage patterns, such as overall visitors, most-frequented pages, and top-asked questions and searches. We use all of this, together with other industry trends to manage and enhance our site and its content.
Direct marketing: Subscribing to AOT’s e-newsletters is voluntary. While they mostly contain information about destinations and trip ideas within Arizona, our e-newsletters may also contain links to products and offers from businesses in Arizona or that offer tourism-related services within the state. You may unsubscribe at any time via a link in our newsletters. Once unsubscribed, your email will be deleted from our database.
We do not allow any third party to use your personal data for marketing or communication purposes.
Information We Share / Who Has Access to Your Data
We do not share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of the Arizona Office of Tourism unless one of the following cases applies:
With your consent: We will share your personal information when we have your explicit consent to do so. This is most common with sweepstakes and giveaways, on which we partner with other entities, or if you request additional information from our tourism partners.
For external processing and distribution: AOT has agreements with the following entities to provide various data processing and distribution of our e-newsletters, brochures, the Official State Travel Guide, and other printed materials:
- Infutor Data Solutions (e-newsletters)
- Prisma (printed brochures and materials, including our Travel Guide)
- LighthousePE (mobile app "Visit AZ")
- Off Madison Avenue (website development and design)
- BlueToad (Travel Guide app information)
For legal reasons: The information you provide will become a matter of public record pursuant to Arizona Revised Statute §§ 39-121, et seq. This means AOT may be required to share certain personal information in response to a public records request or in response to a warrant, subpoena, or other court order.
For regular business operations: Only specifically authorized members of AOT’s staff have access to the information you provide. Access is granted on a limited, need-to-know basis for the purpose of processing the data. These staff members are subject to strict confidentiality agreements and may be disciplined or terminated if they break their agreement.
AOT and its consultants, as developer and manager of all of AOT's websites, have taken several steps to safeguard the integrity of their computer systems and networks. These steps include, but are not limited to individual authentication, the security of transmitted data, security monitoring, auditing, and encryption of your information. Security methods and measures have been integrated into the design, implementation and day-to-day practices of all AOT websites.
You have the right to know what data is stored and how it’s processed. If the personal information we have for you is inaccurate or inaccessible, you may contact AOT to correct the information.
Additionally, personal data is held only as long as needed to fulfill the initial request, or as required under existing law and regulations. We will delete personal data when a user contacts us and requests that they no longer wish to use the service (such as our e-newsletter or business listing). The same is done when we are notified of inactive email addresses or business listings.
- Through the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI), you may opt-out of all their partner cookies by clicking here: NAI Consumer Opt-Out.
- You may also opt-out of all tracking through Digital Advertising Alliance’s Ad Choices program by visiting http://optout.aboutads.info.
Changes to this Policy
This policy may be updated or revised from time to time. If substantial changes are made, we will provide a more prominent notice, including but not limited to, an email advising users of the changes and a pop-up banner on our websites.