See where justice was served in “the town too tough to die” at the Tombstone Courthouse State Historic Park. The 1882 two-story victorian structure, built in the shape of a roman cross, once housed the offices of the sheriff, recorder, treasurer, board of supervisors, jail, and courtrooms of Cochise County. The 12,000 square foot courthouse is now a museum filled with artifacts of those who tamed the territory or made it wild.
Tombstone was chosen as the county seat when Cochise County was created by a vote of citizens in 1881. The two-story courthouse remains an impressive example of territorial architecture. It continued to serve as a county facility until 1931, when the county seat relocated to Bisbee.
There’s something about seeing artifacts from the Old West in one of its most infamous towns. Tombstone’s origin as a frontier silver mining boomtown is contained in exhibits at the courthouse museum. Meet the miners, cattlemen, and pioneers who settled here, and see a reproduction of the courtroom and sheriff’s office. Included in the displays are a tax license for operating a brothel and an invitation to a hanging. Courtyard contains a grim reminder of tough Western justice: A replica of the gallows where seven men were hanged.
The park also includes a gift shop, restrooms, and shaded picnic areas.
There are many hotels, motels, bed & breakfast inns, and guest ranches in and around Tombstone, as well as RV and campgrounds. To get a feel for the real West, camp under the stars at primitive camping spots in nearby San Pedro Riparian National Conservation Area.
Open daily, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Tombstone Courthouse State Historic Park
223 Toughnut St.
Tombstone, AZ 85638