13th Season of Native Trails presented by the Fort McDowell Yavapai Nation
3rd Annual Spring into the Arts ArtWalk
Westgate Bike Night
Fly, Sleep, Eat, Hike & Swim (heated pool) in Phoenix at Sleep Inn
A guided hike, 3 days/2 nights, airport & trail transfers, breakfast; a lunch included in this great southwestern economy plan.
Sedona Healing: Energy Balancing & Reading Package
Experience the relaxation and balancing of your energy with Kavitaa, in Sedona.
Arizona Governor and Tourism Industry Honor Leaders at Arizona Governor’s Conference on Tourism
July 15, 2010
Governor Jan Brewer joined members of the Arizona tourism industry to recognize and honor industry leaders at the 30th Annual Governor’s Conference on Tourism. Governor Brewer along with Arizona Office of Tourism (AOT) Director Sherry Henry and Deputy Director Mark Stanton presented the awards during the Governor’s Awards Luncheon at the Loews Ventana Canyon Resort in Tucson.
Before the awards ceremony, Governor Brewer spoke to more than 300 tourism industry members from both the private and public sector on how the Arizona tourism industry provides stability and strength to the state’s economy. Additionally, the governor acknowledged the recent challenges the industry had been hit by and announced plans to support an advertising campaign to encourage national and international visitation to Arizona. Funding for the campaign will be arranged through public and private sectors and managed through the Arizona Office of Tourism.
Nominations for the awards were submitted for the 10 award categories. Winners were selected on general evaluation of qualifications such as exceptional efforts, innovation, uniqueness and measurable results. The judging committee was comprised of a selection of tourism industry representatives from around the state and AOT staff.
Awards were presented in the following categories: Innovative Promotions, Cooperative Marketing, Special Events (Rural and Urban) and Arizona Preservation. AOT also honored individual
achievements in the categories of Tourism Champion of the Year, Tourism Hall of Fame, Spirit of Service and Special Recognition awards.
Winners are listed below:
- Innovative Promotions – Flagstaff Convention and Visitors Bureau
- Cooperative Marketing – Arizona Rocks
- Arizona Preservation – Arizona Culturekeepers Program – The Westin Kierland Resort &Spa
- Green Tourism – FireSky Resort & Spa Earthcare Program
- Special Events – Rural – United States Arizona Capitol Christmas Tree Event
- Special Events – Urban – Heard Museum Guild Indian Fair & Market
- Spirit of Service – Individual – Reuben Stoller, Radisson Woodlands Hotel
- Spirit of Service – Group – Navigation Volunteers, Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport
- Tourism Champion of the Year – Mitch Nichols
- Tourism Hall of Fame – Greg Gilstrap
- Special Recognition(2) – Tucson Rodeo Parade & Prescott’s World Oldest Rodeo
The conference, held July 12 – 14, was sponsored by AOT, the Arizona Hotel & Lodging Association, the Arizona Restaurant Association and the Arizona Tourism Alliance. The complete list of past winners is posted at www.azot.gov.
About the Arizona Office of Tourism
Created as an executive agency in 1975, the Arizona Office of Tourism is charged with enhancing the state economy and the quality of life for all Arizonans by expanding travel activity and increasing related revenues through tourism promotion and development. AOT works to serve the Grand Canyon State’s travel industry and related businesses, the traveling public, and the taxpayers of Arizona.