- Amy Abrams
- Amy Wilkins
- Andrew Collins
- Andrew Gilstrap
- Arizona Office of Tourism Staff
- Bill Huffman
- Bill Norman
- Blissom Booble
- Brandon Eastwood
- Bryn Bailer
- Chris Becker
- Christine Maxa
- Claire Walter
- Dale Leatherman
- David Hubbard
- David M. Brown
- Debra Utacia Krol
- Dina Mishev
- Edie Jarolim
- Elena Acoba
- Elizabeth Exline
- Eric Van Meter
- Joseph Cyr
- Joyanna Laughlin
- Julian Smith
- Karl Samson
- Lisa Kasanicky
- Lora Finnegan
- Lori Archibald
- Lori K. Baker
- Margaret Regan
- Mark Bahti
- Mark Sanders
- Melissa Wenzel
- Nancy L. Brandt
- Nancy Yackel
- Nora Burba Trulsson
- Richard Farnsworth
- Sam Lowe
- Suzanne Wright
- Teresa Bitler
- Tim Vanderpool
- Tom Danehy
- Will McGough
Sign up for Travel News
Grand Canyon - South Kaibab to Bright Angel
Fully guided hiking experience.
CARNIVAL OF ILLUSION: Overnight Room Rate Special!
Magical overnight room rates at the beautiful Lodge on the Desert. $119 includes all taxes AND breakfast for up to two adults on Carnival of Illusion show nights.
Formerly with Art & Antiques magazine and Museum & Arts Washington magazine, freelance Arizona arts writer Amy Abrams has contributed hundreds of stories to national and regional magazines and newspapers including Southwest Art, Native Peoples, Arizona Highways and Arizona Republic.
- Arizona Artists Celebrate the State
- Musical Instrument Museum Hits High Notes
- Arizona Artists Celebrate the State
Amy Wilkins is an attorney practicing law in the Phoenix area. An Arizona native, she enjoys exploring Arizona's beautiful mountains, canyons and deserts and writing about her experiences.
A Greater Phoenix area resident since 1993 and a graduate of Arizona State University, Drew Gilstrap thrives as a certified English teacher and freelance writer/editor. Drew keeps his finger on the pulse of Arizona sports and politics.
Arizona Office of Tourism Staff
These articles are brought to you by staff of the Arizona Office of Tourism, as well as local tourism organizations around the state.
- Summer Fun Reaches New Heights in Page
- A View from the Top
- Gila River Indian Community – Past and Present
- Sedona’s Native Culture
- An Arizona Vacation Paradise
- Sedona – Your Cool Summer Getaway
- A Natural Summer Oasis
- Douglas Days 2015
- Good Eats in Graham County
- Prescott: The Center of It All
- Cochise County is the Land of Legends
- Red Rock Dining
- Taste What’s Brewing in Tempe
- A New Leaf for Yuma Lettuce Days
- The Tempe Guide to Spring Training
- Spin Your Wheels in Sedona
- FanFest – The Official Block Party
- More than Just Football in Sedona
- Celebrate the Season in Sedona
- Take Your Best Shot
- Some Like It Caliente
- New Wines in the Old West
- A Toast to Sedona and the Verde Valley
- Writings on the Wall
- Welcome to the Grand Canyon
- Hopi Traditions and Artistic Expressions
- Your Shortcut to Summer Fun
- An Ideal Summer Getaway in Sedona
- Experience the Best of Sedona
- A Great “Deal” of Activities
- Ready, Set, Get Wet!
- Fall in Love…with Rocks
- Five-Alarm Fruit on Graham County’s Salsa Trail
- A Tour through Cochise County
- Lake Havasu City is Arizona’s Playground
- The Beauty of It All
- Yuma Marks a Milestone with Tunes & Tacos
- Extra Innings in Sedona
- The Most Wonderful Time of the Year
- Yuma Goes Green
- Scene in the City
- Experience the Thrill of Downtown Scottsdale
- Prescott: The Place for Year-Round Fun
- Yuma: The Crossroads of the Old West
- Destination or Journey?
- Artful Yuma
- Art is Everywhere
- Play Your Way in the Ponderosa Pines
- Mile-High Beachfront Property in Southern Arizona
- Summer Fun in Sedona
- Chillax in Chandler
- What Summer Means in Chandler
- Northern Exposure
- A World of Wonder in Williams
- Scenic Splendor in Sedona
- Flagstaff: Arizona’s Summer Escape
- A Shopper's Guide to Tempe
- Venture Beyond the Ballpark to Sedona, Arizona
- Slide into Tempe This Spring
- Spring Training: 15 Teams, 11 Stadiums, 1 Fabulous Spring
- Experience Williams – An Extraordinary Way to Enjoy the Grand Canyon
- Saucy Stuff
- Historic Architecture at Arizona State Parks
- Eye to Eye with Arizona Wildlife
- Escape to Flagstaff This Summer
- Chandler’s Summer Stays: Cool Value and Cool Fun
- Explore Kingman, Arizona, the Heart of Historic Route 66
- Sedona: A Grand Arizona Destination
- Make Chandler Your Spring Training Dugout
- Cubs, Culture & Charm
- If You Want It, Scottsdale Has It!
- Find Adventure, Romance and More in Sedona, Arizona
- Play La Paloma Country Club
- Love the arts? Plan a trip to Tempe!
- The Navajo Nation: A Tapestry in Progress
- The Salsa Trail – Arizona’s Hottest Road Trip
- This Halloween, Visit Arizona For A Screaming Good Time
- Raise Your Glass! Cheers! Prosit! Skol!
- Explore the Colorado River Indian Tribes Reservation
- Comfort and Elegance: Tucson's Historic Accomodations
- Dinosaurs in the Dirt
- See the Grand Canyon Like Never Before with IMAX
- Summer Grand Canyon Hiking Tips
- Flagstaff Winter Getaways
- Romance in Sedona’s Famous Red Rock Country
- Catch Spring Fever! Spring Training Arizona
- From Ballpark to Grand Canyon National Park
- Starry, Starry Nights
- Adventure Awaits You at Arizona State Parks
- Six Easy Ways to Enjoy Arizona’s Outdoors
- Sierra Vista’s Hummers, Flappers & Howlers
- A Guaranteed Catch on the Navajo Nation
- Pedal the Paths! Ride the Roads! Challenge the Canyons!
- Cochise County: Road Trip AZ!
- Bullhead City: The Best of the Colorado River
- Tucson Will Surprise You
- A Chandler Spring Fling
- Boots & Saddles: The Old West Lives on in Sierra Vista
- Tucson’s Trails, Mountains & Skies
- Legends of the Wild West
- Have a Hankering for the Old West? Tucson Is Sure to Satisfy
- Canyons & Monuments Adventure
- Culture to Cowboys
- Traveling Arizona's DeAnza Trail
- Wild On Arizona
- The Mother Road: Route 66
- Native & Nature Trails
- Discover Greater Phoenix (The Valley of the Sun)
- Gazing and Grazing
- History and Nature
- Living on the Edge
Bill Huffman has been covering the game of golf in Arizona for 25 years, first as the golf writer for the Arizona Republic, and then for the East Valley Tribune. Huffman also wrote the book Arizona’s Greatest Golf Courses, and can be heard as co-host of Backspin, The Golf Show every Wednesday evening (6–7 p.m.) and Saturday morning (9–11 a.m.) on XTRA Sports 910 AM (Fox Sports).
- Arizona: A Winter Golf Wonderland
- Blue Ribbon Golf
- Sedona: Let your soul be touched by the artistry of both man and nature
Tucson resident Bill Norman is a freelance writer/photographer whose works have appeared in numerous general-interest magazines throughout Arizona and travel/outdoor websites worldwide. His hiking record includes most of the Arizona Trail and 30 rim-to-rim-to-rim treks in the Grand Canyon.
Blissom Booblé has worked as an English teacher, burlesque performer, flight attendant, and social advocate in the Deep South and Southwestern United States. Adventure is her calling. Read more of her provocative, unconventional, and fearless storytelling at Be. More. Naked.
Branden Eastwood grew up splitting time between Washington, DC and the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. He is a graduate of the Brooks Institute of Photography and attended the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism at Arizona State University. His work has been published in such publications as the Seattle Times, Vice, Fairfield Magazine and others. He is currently living in Virginia and scheming on his next trip...maybe back to Asia...maybe not...we’ll see on that one...! See more of Branden's work Connect via Twitter: @beastwoo Instagram: @brandeneastwood Facebook: Branden Eastwood Photography
- 15 Stunning Natural Features That Define Arizona
- 10 of the Raddest Outdoor Adventures in Arizona
- Travel guide to Arizona’s coolest small towns
Native Tucsonan Bryn Bailer is an award-winning journalist, former newspaper reporter, current-affairs junkie, and a firm believer in indecision. (At least she thinks so.) Her work has appeared in various publications, including The Dallas Morning News, Arizona Highways, Arizona Daily Star, international news service Agence France-Presse, scads of lifestyle magazines, and curiously, the English-language financial magazine Czech Business Weekly.
- A Trio of Tribal Artists
- Geocaching in the Grand Canyon State
- Arizona’s Resort Brunches
- Golf on the Go and Speedy Spa Services
- Cowboy Couture
- Tight-Knit Community
- Destination Shopping
Chris Becker lives in Phoenix and has been writing about recreation in the West for nearly 10 years. He prefers skis to snowboards and believes that beef stew made in a snowbound lodge might be the best meal on planet Earth.
- Arizona: A State of High Endurance
- Snow Play in the Grand Canyon State
- AZ Rider: Arizona’s Great Motorcycle Tours
An award-winning author and publisher, Christine Maxa has written for Arizona Highways, Chicago Tribune, Christian Science Monitor and National Geographic Traveler, among other national and regional publications, and has been featured on National Public Radio and local television. She has published nine books about Arizona.
Claire Walter is an award-winning author of hundreds of magazine and newspaper features and some 20 books. She specializes in writing about food, travel and snow sports with particular emphasis on the West. She maintains a blog at http://travel-babel.blogspot.com and can be reached through www.claire-walter.com.
Dale Leatherman is a full-time freelance writer and president-elect of the Society of American Travel Writers. Her specialties are golf, adventure, equestrian sports and the Caribbean.
- Couples’ Delight: Arizona Golf and Spa Vacations
- Dream 18
- Couples’ Delight: Arizona Golf and Spa Vacations
Arizona native David Hubbard, a long time Phoenix-based editor and writer, has always enjoyed exploring the myriad facets of the Arizona lifestyle through his work. His contributions to numerous regional and national publications continue to highlight the best of the Southwest.
David M. Brown
David M. Brown has lived in and loved Arizona for 25 years. He writes about his passions: food and wine; travel and hospitality; architecture and construction; high-performance cars; technology; and the arts. A father of two, he is mentored by his border collie/pointer, who believes, with similar passion, that throwing tennis balls for her is the most important activity in the universe.
Debra Utacia Krol
An enrolled member of the Xolon Salinan Tribe and a Phoenix-based journalist, Debra Utacia Krol is the book editor of Native Peoples Magazine and a regular contributor to many regional and national publications.
Dina Mishev lives and writes in Jackson, Wyoming, and wherever she parks her camper van in Arizona. Her work about travel, adventure, fitness and lifestyle topics appears in National Geographic Traveler, Sunset and AAA Via. She is a host of the Wyoming PBS show “The Wyoming Chronicle.” You can find her blog at www.dinamishev.com.
- 7 Awesome Grand Canyon Adventures for Families
- Golf in Arizona
- Sweet on You
- Farm Fresh: Made in Arizona
- A Sense of Taste: Arizona’s Food Culture
- Rafting is Believing
- A River Runs Through It
- Wonderful Winter Day Hikes
- Birding in Patagonia
Edie Jarolim is the author of Arizona for Dummies and her articles about the state have appeared in numerous national publications, including National Geographic Traveler, US Airways magazine and The Wall Street Journal. She is the Pet Travel Correspondent for KVOA TV in Tucson, where she is based, and her most recent book is Am I Boring My Dog: And 99 Things Every Dog Wishes You Knew (Alpha/Penguin).
- Take to the Skies
- Arizona’s Starry Nights
- Cool-Off Delights
- Arizona’s Hispanic Bakeries and Tortilla Factories
- Wine and Dine in Arizona
- Live Music on the Menu
- Fresh from the Garden
- AZ Spa Rooms with a View
- ¡Viva Agave!
- Antiquing Arizona
- A Gift from the Grand Canyon State
- Arizona’s Rock Shops
- Dig into Arizona’s Mining Attractions
- Cheers! Celebrate Arizona’s Craft Beers
- Smokin’ Barbecue, Arizona Style
- Arizona’s Farm-to-Table Fare
- Swirl, Sip…Saddle Up
- Grab Your (Shopping) Bags!
- Arizona’s Girlfriend Getaways
- Contemporary Cowboy Fun
- Arizona’s Historic Mexican Restaurants
- Renowned Flavors of Arizona
- Meet Three Arizona Winemakers
- Arizona Wine Tours
- Exploring Arizona’s Winery Regions
- Chef John Sharpe Delivers for the Turquoise Room at Winslow's La Posada
- Suzana Davila, the Heart of Café Poca Cosa
- Dining Around the Globe
- Here's Looking at You, Chica: Arizona’s Top Margaritas
- 10 Arizona Restaurants with a View
- Arizona’s Eclectic Shopping Destinations
- How to Shop for Arizona Native American Crafts
- Arizona’s Trading Posts
- And Now for Something Entirely Different: Arizona's Quirky Lodgings
- It’s History: Arizona’s Lodging Grande Dames
- Arizona's Mining Attractions
- Dinner Date: Romantic Fare in Arizona
- Vacations for the Student-at-Heart
- Camels, Gold Mines & Sky Walks
Since moving to Tucson in 1988, freelance writer Elena Acoba has enjoyed traveling to the four corners of Arizona. Her favorites spots in her adopted state: the natural wonders and the rich historical sights.
- 9 Little-Known Parks in Arizona
- Arizona’s Route 66 Still a Kick
- Driving Arizona
- Arizona’s History Museums
- Arizona’s World-Class Sporting Events
- Get Beached in Arizona
- Arizona’s Summer Celebrations
- High Country Recreation
- Walk on Arizona’s Wild(flower) Side
- Winter Surprises
- Arizona’s Architectural Gems
- Way Cool Accommodations
- Tour the Terrain
- Plan Your Big Year of Arizona Birding
- Celebrate Cowboy-Style at Arizona’s Winter Rodeos & Old West Events
- Southern Arizona’s Missions & Churches
- A Walk on Arizona's Wild Side
- Arizona’s Aerospace Museums & Attractions
- Discover the Diverse Flora of Arizona
- All Aboard in Arizona: Scenic Rail Tours
- Walk in the Shadows of Arizona Dinosaurs
- A Warm Winter’s Glow: Arizona’s Holiday Light Displays
- Saddle Up at Arizona’s Dude & Guest Ranches
- Come Celebrate Arizona’s 100th Birthday
- Arizona Geotourism Getaways
- Arizona Offers a Universe of Stargazing without Astronomical Costs
Elizabeth Exline is a freelance writer and editor whose articles have appeared in Sunset, Robb Report, LUXE and various other local, regional and national media.
Eric Van Meter
Born and raised in Arizona, Eric Van Meter is a freelance content developer, specializing in sales and marketing communications for web, print and radio (http://wordmoxie.com). On the side, he also gets a kick of out of writing about science, technology, travel and film.
A language teacher during the week, Joseph Cyr is fueled by wanderlust, the outdoors, and language learning. After living in Georgia, Seattle, Paris, and Nicaragua, he and his wife are currently at home among the saguaros and mountains of Tucson, Arizona. On weekend mornings you're likely to find him on a canyon trail-run, iPhone strapped to his wrist, on the lookout for photos, working up an appetite for kimchi-quesadillas.
- 20 things you didn’t know about Arizona
- 8 incredible natural areas in Arizona you’ve probably never heard of
Joyanna Laughlin is a freelance writer and poet who lives in Tucson with her partner, Glenn, and their three dogs Rocket, Rusty and Bear. Her journalism has appeared in numerous media including Sunset, Tucson Home, Natural Home and Gaiam Life. Landscapes deeply influence her work.
Julian Smith is an award-winning writer, editor and photographer specializing in travel and science. He is the author of four travel guidebooks, and his writing and photography have appeared in Smithsonian, Outside, Wired, National Geographic Traveler, The Los Angeles Times and The Washington Post. He can be reached at www.juliansmith.com.
- Arizona’s Museums – An Outstanding Collection
- Hopi Guide Extraordinaire
- Discover Apache Country
- Living Arizona’s Wild West
- Arizona Learning Vacations
Although he lives in Oregon, for more than 20 years Karl Samson has been escaping his home state’s rainy winter weather to dry out in sunny Arizona. He is the author of the Frommer’s Arizona guidebook and has also written about Arizona for Sunset magazine.
- Signs of Life from Long Ago
- Well-Spoken Rides
- Arizona’s Secret Campsites
- Arizona’s Geologic Wonders
- The Reel Life in Arizona
Author of The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Girlfriend Getaways, and the creator of Arizona Spa Girls (AZSpaGirls.com) – a girlfriend-to-girlfriend guide for the new generation of spa enthusiasts – Lisa Kasanicky’s writing career spans more than 20 years. She is a recognized spa expert, having been interviewed on ABC News and Martha Stewart Living Radio. In 2006, she co-founded the annual Summer Spaaah Series, which tours Arizona spas to educate the public on wellness while supporting a local charity. For her work as the “Spastress,” Lisa was named among the coolest people in the Valley of the Sun by Phoenix Magazine in 2008. She and her husband (aka, the “spa boy”) currently reside in Scottsdale, Arizona. She can be reached at azspagirls.com and lisa.kasanicky.com.
Lora Finnegan is a former senior writer and senior editor for Sunset Magazine and editor of travel publications for Sunset Publishing. She currently writes for the blog California Travel Girl.
- Arizona's Amazing Trains, Planes and Automobiles
- Off-Season Family Travel: Arizona Fall and Winter Bargains
- Dude for a Day
- Getting Wild in Southern Arizona
Lori Archibald is a freelance writer who has covered the arts, dining, culture and leisure in the Grand Canyon State for a variety of publications. She lives in Phoenix and is the editor of www.letspartymagazine.com.
Lori K. Baker
Lori K. Baker is an award-winning journalist and nationally published writer whose work has appeared in some of the nation’s top magazines – Family Circle, Glamour, Ladies’ Home Journal, Parenting and others – as well as Arizona Highways, where she worked as a research editor. Writing about travel and health are her specialties. To learn more about her work, visit her Web site, www.lorikbaker.com.
- For the Love of Wheels
- Gifts to Go
- Fall Under the Spell of Northern Arizona
- Picture Perfect Excursions
- The Arizona High Five
- Arizona Honeymoons
- Small Town Romantic Escapes
- Arizona’s Unforgettable Wedding Destinations
- Colorado River Motorized Water Sports
- Whatever Floats Your Boat
As a longtime writer for the Tucson Weekly and other publications, Margaret Regan frequently covers Arizona art, architecture and history. Her recent book, The Death of Josseline: Immigration Stories from the Arizona Borderlands (Beacon Press, 2010), has been named a Southwest Book of the Year.
A native of Arizona and an Indian arts dealer for more than 40 years, Mark Bahti grew up traveling the Indian lands of the Southwest with his father, Tom Bahti, who started out in the Indian arts business in 1949 in New Mexico. Mark has authored a number of books and articles on Indian arts and crafts, history and culture. He is currently completing his doctorate in American Indian Studies at the University of Arizona.
Mark Sanders is a journalist and archaeologist. He currently lives in Florida and can be reached through his website, www.diversionism.com.
A native of Phoenix, Melissa Wenzel is a freelance writer and public relations consultant. Her writing can be found in Chicken Soup for the Soul, Raising Arizona Kids Magazine and Veteran’s Magazine. Melissa and her husband continue to live in the Greater Phoenix area, where they can be found chasing (or being chased by) their three-year-old twin boys. To learn more about her work, visit www.melissawenzel.com.
Nancy L. Brandt
Nancy L. Brandt is a freelance writer with a background in radio, television and print media. She had written extensively on Arizona history.
Nancy Yackel loves living and traveling in the American West. In addition to writing for newspapers and magazines, Nancy shares travel destinations on her website, http://wheretogotravelusa.com.
Nora Burba Trulsson
Nora Burba Trulsson is a long-time Arizona resident and a freelance writer specializing in travel, food, lifestyle, architecture and design topics. Her articles have appeared in Sunset, Arizona Highways, Vegas Seven, Houzz.com, Valley Guide, Scottsdale Magazine, United Airlines Hemispheres, Westjet's Up!, Renovation Style, Beautiful Homes and other publications and websites. She can be reached through www.noraburbatrulsson.com.
- Thrills and Chills
- Arizona’s Water Adventures
- Farm-to-Table Fare
- Arizona Holiday Events
- Water in the Desert
- It’s Show Time
- 2014 Dia de los Muertos Celebrations
- Complimentary Arizona
- Walkabout Arizona’s Small Towns
- 2014 MLB Spring Training All-Stars
- A Gallery without Walls
- Cactus Cuisine
- Arizona for Free
- Arizona Spring Training Warm-Up
- Go Wild at Arizona Zoos and Aquariums
- Get Pampered at Arizona’s Guest Ranches
- Arizona’s Award-Winning Wines & Wineries
- Arizona in Bloom
- Arizona’s Artist Enclaves
- Haunted Arizona
- Arizona Centennial Steam Locomotive Tour
- Family Fun in Arizona's White Mountains
- Phoenix & Central Arizona Best Bets
- Small-Town Fourth of July Celebrations
- Arizona – Fun for Families
- Arizona’s Classic Steakhouses
- AZ Hot Spots for Live Music
- Flagstaff's New Dining Scene
- Arizona’s Architectural Treasures
- Arizona’s Top Food Events
- Arizona Tours That Take You Into the Past
- A Cook’s Tour, Arizona Style
- Arizona, Restored
- Short Trips to Scenic Drives
Sam Lowe has been writing about Arizona since 1969, when he became an adopted son. His stories have appeared publications including The Phoenix Gazette, Arizona Republic, Arizona Highways, Arizona AAA Highroads, Chicago Tribune and Robb Report. He has also written five books about Arizona, including Arizona Curiosities and You Know You're in Arizona When...
Suzanne Wright has written for National Geographic Traveler, Arizona Highways, American Way, Arizona Republic, Elite Traveler, Golf for Women, Men’s Journal, The Tennessean, USA Today and Wine & Spirits. A former Navy brat, her suitcase is always packed and her passport up-to-date. She has visited all 50 states and more than 50 countries on five continents. Her home base is in the beautiful Sonoran Desert foothills of Cave Creek, Arizona. Her website is www.wanderwomanonline.com.
- 10 Tips for Summertime Deals
- Find Your Place in the Sun
- Arizona’s Folklorico and Mariachi Performance Groups
- Greens with a View
Teresa Bitler is an award-winning writer whose work has appeared in Sunset and Valley Guide magazines. She is the author of Great Escapes Arizona as well as four Arizona-related iPhone travel apps and is currently working on her second guidebook, Backroads & Byways of Indian Country. She can be reached at www.teresabitler.com.
- Bed, Breakfast and Rejuvenation
- Pedaling on Pavement
- Camps and Classes for Kids
- Up in the Air
- Your Passport to Route 66
- Arizona Air Adventures
- Kid Friendly Arizona
- Fun by Starlight: Arizona Nighttime Tours
Tim Vanderpool is a Tucson-based freelance writer whose hankering for adventure and trusty VW van have taken him to the far corners of our great state. His travel writing has appeared in publications ranging from Sunset and The Christian Science Monitor to National Geographic Traveler.
- Baseball Fan Fests & Events
- Tucson and Beyond
- Trekking the Arizona Trail
- 7th Inning Getaways
- From Llamas and Goats to Mules and Horses
Tom Danehy is a writer and radio talk-show host from Tucson. He is involved in a variety of athletic pursuits, and he coaches one of the top small-school high-school girls’ basketball teams in the state of Arizona.
Will McGough is a writer focused on all types of travel, from swimming with pigs to parties in ice hotels. He is inspired by the spectrum of ways in which people live their lives in the different parts of the world. He enjoys the idea of waking up every day to new opportunities, new landscapes, and the new feelings that the former inevitably evoke. He doesn't discriminate: Massages, wine tasting, sailing, skydiving, and multi-day treks are all equally inviting. He writes about his travels on his website, Wake and Wander.